This magnificent creation by Barker, nicknamed “Englefield Ghost” in reference to the original owner’s estate – the Mayor of Melbourne – achieved great success around the world before landing in Loizaga in 2006; winning several prizes at the Australian Federal Rally during the eighties and starring Elegance Contests such as Pebble Beach during the nineties.
Its impressive exterior shows the appearance of the first cars, with a typical flat roof that houses a spare wheel and an open space for the driver. The carved glass position lights and rear brake lights evoke the old headlights of carriages while the door handles are those of horse-drawn carriages. The elegant interior is arranged in the manner of an Edwardian saloon, lined with luxurious upholstery, carpet and fine woods. A cord operates the driver’s partition screen, with a trumpet for communication.
The bonnet houses a 7,428 cc six-cylinder engine with side valves, fixed cylinder covers and dual ignition. The rear drum-only brake lever is located next to the three-speed gearbox on the driver’s side. All engine parts were hand-polished and built with a high degree of precision
- Bodywork: Barker & Co
- Capacity: 7,428 cc
- Period: 1906-1925
- Units: 6,173